Friday, August 14, 2009

Registration/Orientation

It is orientation week at Daystar and it is very boring! We have been divided into groups and have a lot of time just sitting together playing games. I do enjoy this part because it takes my mind off of home. The problem is all of the lectures about registration and school here because most of the information doesn’t pertain to me.

I registered for classes and had a hard time choosing. I really wanted to take Kiswahili and actually learn the language many people here speak but found it at the same time as another class I really wanted to take, that would transfer back to my major. The classes here are one day a week in blocks. All of my three credit classes are three hours at once and my two credit class is two hours at once.

I will be taking the following courses:
· History, Systems, and Schools of Psychology
· Introduction to Community Development
· Interpersonal and Group Communication
· Abnormal Psychology
· Introduction to Christian Counseling
· Art in Africa

I am hoping that I can learn enough from the culture in the way classes are taught and from how I am living. I would have liked to take other classes more focused on learning about Africa or Kenya because really it is a great opportunity, however I will be honest, I didn’t come here to learn about the country’s history or literature, I came to meet the people, see the landscape, and do something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment