The first full day I was here we traveled back to Nairobi to go shopping and buy some things. The drive is roughly over an hour, but can be longer with bad traffic. This was the first time I really got to see out the windows being it was dark when I had arrived. There were some things I saw that I loved and some that bothered me.
The landscape is just gorgeous, not in a, “I spent thousands of dollars to have my backyard done” way, but in a very natural, “this is God’s creation way.” I saw some Zebras and other animals on my way out. Some looked like cows and were probably of some relation, and not many others nearby.
The living conditions were very various. I saw some villages or towns of the sort that looked like they had been made out of old tin roofs or anything one could really find. I saw some homes that were much bigger and prettier than mine at home. It is difficult to see because it is all very close together and very extreme differences.
There were many roadside stands along the way, some selling produce, clothing, mobile cards, and a ton selling coca-cola products.
In Nairobi we were dropped off at the Daystar campus there and taken on a quick tour and then brought around the small area of the city to shop at a Nakumatt. This is a store very similar to Wal-mart. I had my first experience changing currency here!
On the way back we had to go through Athi River, the closest city to my campus. The route drops off staff near their homes. This way had many more bumpy dirt roads and made for a ridiculous ride. Thank goodness I didn’t have a full stomach!
I bought a cell phone in Nairobi and have been able to talk to people at home. It is free for me if they call, but costs them. It has been really nice to hear people’s voices. The only problem is the more I talk to them the more I want to talk but I know I shouldn’t. I have been told by others who have studied abroad that the thing they regretted most was trying to have a lot of contact with home. Doing this detracts from the experience. I’m hoping I will get over this phase soon and just put up with the fact that I am not home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment