Wow, I feel like my life here just didn't have time to stop and settle down. I have had things going almost constantly! Right now I have decided to take the night off from work and catch up on a few things, laundry, Bethel things, photos, and now my blog!
To save all of my lovely readers’ time I will do my best to keep this short!
Two weekends ago I had plans to visit Kibera (the biggest Kenya, possibly African slum), have game night at the Matthews, ladies night, swim, and see some animals somewhere in Nairobi. Plans changed as they always do. I wasn't able to go to Kibera because the person who was going to accompany us had something going on with the kids from the slum. Game night, ladies night, and swimming happened, but on Sunday things changed.
Quick explanation, ladies night was a "talk show" about rejection, and then a movie, Night at the Museum 2. It was supposed to be a big slumber party with all of the ladies on campus, especially those involved in Dalafe (Daystar Ladies Fellowship). After the talk about rejection and everyone realized there weren't any refreshments, most people left! I stayed for almost the whole movie, but I kept falling asleep and the mosquitoes were bad so I ended up leaving too.
On Sunday I went into town with Alyssa, Nelson, and Godlove. (Nelson is from Ohio, but was born in Rwanda, Godlove is from Cameroon, they are both first year male students here). We did just a little walking around town and made our way to Kahawa West, where I was the weekend before. We went back to the disabled children's school to play with the kids again. This time we stayed longer. At first, the girl who clung to me the previous week clung to Alyssa because she walked in first. Once she noticed me, she struggled her way over and didn't let me go the whole time I was there. I was so happy she remembered me, but at the same time I feel awful that I may never see her again, knowing her memory is pretty good. The time spent there was good; I tried teaching some of the kids songs like "Baby Shark" and "Head, shoulders knees and toes." They loved trying to mimic the actions and make noises with me! Even though I had fun, it is sad to see the lives some children have to live, the conditions there are not great but I know they are worse at home.
After the home we went for food at Pizza/Creamy/Chicken Inn. They are all separate fast food places right next to each other, basically a food court! I had some breadsticks that were AMAZING, and an ice cream sundae! We got on the bus and headed back to campus.
The week went by pretty fast, I did the usual classes, school work, aerobics, and sleeping! When it came time for the weekend I was hoping to make major plans, but found out I needed to buy a few things for my Mt. Kenya trip. I stayed in school Friday and worked on my paper (that was due today, but I was 1 of 3 who turned it in and everyone else was given an extension of 2 weeks!). On Saturday I went into Nairobi with my roommate, Gladwell. She took me to her Aunt's home for a little while and then we headed to the City Centre to do some shopping. The funniest thing about the day was trying to buy warm sweatpants. We found a man on the street selling them, asked the price, and went on. She assumed that someone further down would have the same items at a cheaper price. This was a line of people selling off the street or from small hole-in-the wall shops. We didn’t find any and on our way back, the man was gone. Almost everyone selling off the street had disappeared, in a matter of twenty minutes! The police had come, and you could tell!
On Sunday I went back into Nairobi for church and to visit a different children's home. It didn't really end up being worth it. The church was Nairobi Pentecostal Church, Valley Road. Like the one I went to earlier, but a different location. I just cannot get myself used to that type of service! The children's home was a bit of a failure too, we arrived at lunch time so the children were eating. Afterwards they did the dishes, and then had to do laundry. By the time they would be done with laundry they had choir practice. I only got to play with a couple kids for a matter of minutes. It was nice to see the facilities and the way it was set up but I really just wanted to hang out with the children! The home has about 170 kids and 9 houses. Each house looks like a regular home with a kitchen, sitting room, and bedrooms. Each one also has a house mother who looks after the children. It was really neat that they organized that many kids that way, rather than a big dining hall and bunk houses. The children were all pretty well-behaved as well!
Sorry it has been so long since the last update! I have been doing really well for the most part and am starting to feel very comfortable here. Going to my dorm room is like going home for me and I feel like I have a few good friends who will look out for me! I have begun to plan out the rest of my time here, hoping I can go everywhere I want to before I must leave. It doesn't look like I have enough time to do so though! Time has flown and I will be flying home sooner than I know!
On Thursday morning I am leaving for Mt. Kenya. I will be there until Tuesday or Wednesday. We are hoping to Peak Pt. Lenana. This is the 3rd highest peak in the National Park, and the highest that doesn't involve rock climbing. I am still worried that we may not make it due to little training. I have another roommate coming with who hasn't done anything, and says she won't. I don't know how to talk to her so she will realize how important it is. I know that if she is the reason we don't make it she will feel bad herself, I am thinking I would rather not be able to make it and know I tried to get in shape than not be able to because I didn't put in the effort. Gladwell has been running with me as much as possible but her schedule is very busy! I am very happy that she is making the effort though! I look forward to telling you about the trip after I get back. I cannot wait to go and hope that even with all of the physical strains I will have a good time! At least I know I will be seeing something beautiful!
Anyways, as they say here in Kenya, nice time!
No comments:
Post a Comment