Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Back on Campus and its my Birthday!

Since I have been back the water in my dorm has been touchy. Sometimes it will be working and others it won’t. I have been very tired and have this urge to constantly be on the internet or calling home again. I don’t really understand why because I am getting comfortable with the people here and realizing that a month has already gone by and I don’t even feel like I have done much at all. I know the rest of this time is going to go by so fast and I am ready for it to. I feel like fast is okay when half of you just wants to be home with the people you know and half of you wants to see and explore what this country has to offer. None of me wants to be doing the schoolwork though so sitting in class and studying are the hardest parts of my days.

I have also been really tired since I have been back. One night my roommate was talking with a friend and it took me hours to fall asleep. They weren’t even in the same part of the room!

Since I got back to campus I began running. My friend Raija and I wake up at 615 and get out by 630 to go for about a 15-20 minute run. I am assuming it is probably a mile and a half but I have no idea! We do some work basic stretches and ab-work outs afterwards. I am mainly doing this so that when Mt. Kenya comes I will be able to peak it without completely over exerting my body. The thing about Mt. Kenya is I have to find a friend who isn’t already busy for their Mid-Semester break, who has hiking stuff, likes hiking, and is in shape to peak the mountain. Most girls here aren’t very into sports so I don’t know how fit they are! Most of my friends are already busy or just don’t like hiking/camping.

I have also joined the volleyball team. My arms look like I got beat up. There are so many bruises and they are sore, but it will go away once I am used to playing. There are about 14 girls on the team and I am probably the worst. I try though! It is fun to play with them and get my body moving and have something to do. It does get frustrating sometimes though because they will speak in Swahili to each other and I become clueless to the conversation. I hate this because it is hard to learn and understand the tips that are being given when I cannot comprehend them at all!

Well there is a lot going on here and I have to get back to studying, or maybe take a nap, waking up early is not my favorite thing to do! Plus it’s my birthday so I figure if I want a nap I deserve one right!? Oh and that sucks too…I want to be with my family so badly today…I just now realized that… I know there are people here who are going to make it a good day but some things are just hard. I have already had some friends sing happy birthday to me and a few verbal happy birthdays and it is only 9:30 in the morning! I have been told that I am going to have a fun night tonight! I feel bad about it though because I don’t actually hang out with the people who have sung to me and apparently are going to do something for me tonight very often and I don’t feel they should have to do something for me when I am not that great of a friend. I am also worried that I am going to get water dumped on me because that is the Kenyan tradition. It is funny though because I am sure it will come from an international student not a Kenyan…

I have one last request before I end this post. I have been asked by my school to write a “postcard” about a single experience I have while abroad. It can only be 300 words I believe. I am asking you to let me know if there is one thing in particular that you think a bunch of college kids may actually be interested in hearing about. I will write it differently than in the blog! I still have about a month to do it so if anything really interesting comes up please let me know! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment